If you have been searching for a perfect aquaponics system where you can keep fish and also grow various plants, you need to read my detailed Aquasprouts Garden Review to know why it is among the best.
Aquaponic systems allow you to produce fresh vegetables and keep fish at the same time through a beautiful aquarium system. The good thing about it is that it is effortless to maintain because the waste from fish is converted into nitrates, which is useful for plants. You will only need to feed the fish and test the ammonia levels of the water at least once per week.
- Dimensions - 28 x 8 x17 Inches
- Weight - 24 Pounds
- Capacity - 10 gallons
- Accessories - timer, pump, growing media
- Warranty - 1 year
- Light - Removable light bar
What makes AquaSprout Garden so awesome?
Design- The Aquasprouts garden comes in a stylish black matte design that matches any décor. It also comes pre-assembled, which means that you won’t need to do anything once you get the kit.
Growing media- You will find that this kit uses a special clay growing media, which eliminates the need for using soil. It also provides support to your plants in the growing bed. Apart from that, it gives room for bacteria to grow where the fish waste is converted into foods and nutrients. The clay media can tap the fish waste and any leftover fish food, which means that the tank’s ecosystem is self-contained.
There are porous pebbles which act as a filter mechanism since they trap the uneaten food and fish waste. Besides that, they provide enough space for bacteria to grow where the waste is converted into nutrients for the plants.
Support- Once you have purchased this kit, you will also get a detailed manual that guides you on how to set it up and maintain the garden.
You can also contact the support anytime via email or phone in case you need any form of assistance. The company also provides live chat on their website.
Lightbar- There is an easy to remove light bay where you can fix any standard indoor grow light. The light is essential in places with low light conditions. Another benefit of this light is that it can be adjusted according to the requirements of your plants.
Pump and Timer – Another thing included in the kit is a submersible 9.5W/ 120v, which can handle upto160 gallons per hour pump. There is also a 24-hour timer which you can set at intervals of 15 minutes. The timer and the pump come with a one year warranty.
Why should you buy an Aquaponics kit?
Buying an aquaponic kit like the Aqua Sprouts garden
How is AquaSprout Garden different from others?
One of the significant benefits of this kit is that it can fit any standard 10-gallon aquarium, which is one of the most common aquariums. In addition, it provides a platform for different plants. Due to its sleek and stylish design, it matches perfectly with any home décor.
You will also find that it has a better design, and it also accommodates more plants than others. Apart from that, it is affordable and effortless to maintain.
How does it work?
Aquaponics is a process that involves breaking down toxic ammonia, where it is then converted into nitrates. This process uses two types of nitrifying bacteria, which are nitrosoureas and Nitrosomonas. The ammonia produced by fish typically attracts nitro somas bacteria. These bacteria then convert the ammonia into nitrates, which is more toxic as compared to ammonia.
On the other hand, the nitrites attract another form of bacteria known as nitrospira, which converts it into nitrates. The nitrate produced acts as food for the plants, and it is not harmful to the fish. The aquaponic process becomes complete after this process is over. It also ensures that the ammonia level is minimum, and this provides maximum nutrients to your plants.
Which types of fish are supported by the Aquasprouts Garden kit?
This kit is ideal for common pet fish such as mollies, guppies, tetras, minnows, and other small freshwater fish. There is also a 2-inch gap at the back between the aquarium and the grow bed where you can put an automatic fish feeder, heater, aerator, or any other essential aquarium accessories.
Which plants can I grow in an Aquasprout garden?
One of the major selling points of this garden is that it has an outstanding design, which makes it suitable for different plants, which includes herbs, leafy greens, flowers, among others. It also allows you to grow seeds, transplant starter seedlings, among others.
Is the Aquasprout garden hard to maintain?
As compared to other aquaponic systems, this one is straightforward to maintain, which makes it suitable for starters or those searching for easy to keep aquaponic kits. One of the benefits of this garden is that you don’t need any tools or any experience. There is also a systematic guide which helps you to get started. In case you need further assistance, customer care is always willing and available to offer guidance via phone, email, or live chat.
Benefits of Aquasprout Garden to students
Apart from growing plants and other fresh herbs, this garden can also be used for teaching. It can be used for demonstrating different concepts in ecology, chemistry, and biology. If you have kids, it is something that can keep them busy as they watch what is happening in the unit.
On the other hand, there is no need to remove the water in aquaponic systems because they have a natural balance of nitrogen. You will only need to replace the water that is typically lost due to evaporation.
System Pros And Cons
Here are the main system advantages and disadvantages
What else will You need after purchasing the AquaSprout Garden?
The following items will also be necessary.
- Filter- You may need a filter to maintain the optimum conditions for the plans and fish. If you are not sure of the best filter, you can consider Elive AquaDuo 10 Aquarium Fish Tank Water Filter. It has impressive features, as you can see from the link.
- LED Aquarium Kits- These kits enhance the color of the aquarium system. The good thing about them is that they are reasonably priced. Aqueon Fish Aquarium Starter Kits LED NeoGlow is among the best on the market. It is also suitable for 10-gallons systems like the AquaSprout garden.
Does it come with a tank?
Before you order this unit, you need to be aware that it doesn’t come with a fish tank. However, that is not a significant disadvantage because these tanks are very cheap.
How do you feed the fish in this kit?
You will find that at the top there is a wide gap which you can use to feed the fish.
Do you have to feed the fish, or they eat the bacteria from the plants?
You need to feed the fish frequently with fish food.
Can you grow edible food in Aquasprout Garden?
Is it possible to use an auto-feeder with this unit?
Yes, it is possible.
What are the benefits of aquaponics over hydroponic systems?
- Cost- In a hydroponic order, non-organic or organic chemical nutrients are required for feeding the plants. However, they are a bit expensive due to the scarcity of ingredients used to produce them. On the other hand, aquaponics is more economical because it uses fish waste, which makes it free to maintain.
- Maintenance- When running a hydroponic system, you need to check the electrical conductivity every day, which makes it hard to maintain. On the other hand, you will only require to check the ammonia and pH levels, which is done weekly. For the nitrates, you will only need to check their levels once per month.
- Growth- One of the significant benefits of aquaponics is that it is very friendly to the environment. It is a replica of the natural ecosystem, which makes it to be completely organic. The plant foods that are used are obtained from the fish waste after it has been converted by bacteria. This results in better plant growth with minimum diseases.
- Water replacement- When using a hydroponic system, you need to remove the water frequently to prevent the build-up of chemicals and salts, which can be harmful to the plants. However, this water should be carefully disposed on an area where it is not likely to cause any harm.
Top 6 Common Aquaponic problems and their solutions
- Tank water getting too hot- You should be able to determine the optimum temperatures required by the fish. Hot water is hazardous because it reduces oxygen levels. To prevent this, you should install the system in a way that will not become too hot to the extent that it will cause harm to your fish. You can also install the tank in a shade where there is no direct contact with the sun rays.
- Too many fish-Avoid having too much fish in the unit because the bigger ones may start feeding on the smaller ones. Again, these fish will release a lot of waste, which will be more than what the plants can filter. Ensure that you have one fish for every 20 liters of water. If there is too much fish in the system, you should harvest the ones who are ready for sale.
- Testing ammonia- Fish produces ammonia through their respiratory systems. Since ammonia is very toxic, you should always make sure that it is regulated by conducting tests using API Aquarium Test Kit at least once per week. You should add water to dilute it if the levels are high until it reaches the required standards.
- Iron deficiency- For photosynthesis to take part in plants, iron is essential. Lack of iron may cause chlorosis of plant leaves. To avoid this, you need to use an iron testing kit like the Seachem MultiTest Iron Test Kit.
- Location- When setting up the fish tank, you should place it in a convenient place where you can easily access it. This will allow you to see what is going on and will allow you to detect problems on time. If you restrict access to the tank, various issues are likely to occur. For example, you may not be able to access the plumbing components you may require for regulating the system. It will also be challenging to change water or cash fish when the unit is restricted.
- Bugs- Bugs are likely to damage the plants in aquaponic set-ups. In case you notice their presence, you should look for effective ways to remove them because they spread too fast. However, you should avoid poisoning the water because doing so will kill the fish. Instead, you can use a trap and then feed them to the fish. This will minimize the cost of buying fish food. You can also add bug predators to eat them.
The AquaSprout garden comes as a freestanding unit, and it is effortless to maintain. It is designed in a way that makes the beautiful aquarium plus the indoor gardening accessible to everyone irrespective of the experience with plants and fish.
One of the benefits of this unit is that it does not require fertilizers. Instead, it recycles fish wastes, which are then converted for use as plant food. It is designed to fit into any 10-gallon aquarium. It is also perfect for growing vegetables, flowers, and fresh herbs. Aquasprouts garden is among the best aquaponic systems that are worth your money.
For more aquaponics articles, click here.